Easy walking mainly on level field-edge paths and tracks but some road sections. Leaving Erwood Bridge the route passes Erwood Station Gallery. The first couple of miles are along a road before crossing the Wye via the suspension bridge at Llanstephan.
After the bridge there is a very short stretch on the verge of the busy A470. Back on the river bank there follows a particularly beautiful section of the Wye, passing Llangoed Hall, which was previously owned by Laura Ashley. There are lovely views of the Black Mountains on this section down to Boughrood. Crossing the river again level field paths lead in to Glasbury.
Previously known as Llangoed Castle, Llangoed Hall is today a luxury hotel. It’s thought to have been the site of the first Welsh Parliament. The Jacobean-style mansion, built around 1633, was remodelled by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis before 1914 (later owner and designer of the Italianate village of Portmeirion). The hall is surrounded by walled gardens and magnificent trees and at one time 20 men were employed to tend the gardens
Built by David Rowell and Company of Westminster in 1922 it is the only wooden decked vehicular suspension bridge left in Wales. The same company also built the bridge over the Wye at Foy in Herefordshire, which you will pass later in the walk, which has a similar lattice work design.